Road woes continue for Storm

For the second game in a row, the Storm struck first only to fall 5-3 after a late empty net goal in Peterborough.

Guelph had several chances to score in the opening period, before Michael Latta broke a long powerplay drought for the visitors banging in a Peter Holland rebound just 1:03 remaining.  The Storm badly outshot their hosts 16-6 and their inability to cash in proved their undoing later in the game.

In the middle stanza, despite badly outshooting the Petes again it was Peterborough that found the back of three times to take a 3-2 lead into the third.  Guelph’s lone goal came near the midway mark off the rush when Zack Mitchell fed Richard Panik on his off wing for a one-time that Andrew D’Agostini had no chance stopping.  Panik’s 25th of the season gave Guelph their second lead of the night less than five minutes after Alan Quine scored with the man advantage.  The lead was short lived as Austin Watson evened the score at two only 76 seconds later.  Before the end of the middle twenty, Kurt Gowdy scored his third of the season and the Petes’ third of the night to give them their first lead of the contest.

The one goal advantage to open the third seemed to spark a young Petes’ squad as they held an edge in play and outscored the visitors 2-1.  Latta with his 28th of the season and second of the game evened the score at three with a quick shot from the faceoff dot.  Then 51 seconds after Guelph picked up a bench minor for too many men, the Petes would make them pay with the game winner.  Lino Martschini with a quick wrist shot from the top of the circle gave Peterborough a lead that they wouldn’t surrender with Matt Puempel into the empty net rounding out the scoring.

Friday night, the Storm will return to the Sleeman Centre to host the Brampton Battalion at 7:30 after three straight setbacks away from home.

Guelph Storm 3 at Peterborough Petes 5 – Status: Final
Thursday, February 10, 2011 – Peterborough Memorial Centre

Guelph 1 1 1 – 3
Peterborough 0 3 2 – 5

1st Period-1, Guelph, Latta 27 (Holland, Erlich), 18:57 (PP). Penalties-Pereira Gue (hooking), 3:11; McNaughton Gue (holding), 7:29; Gowdy Pbo (interference), 18:22.

2nd Period-2, Peterborough, Quine 22 (Watson, Martschini), 4:37 (PP). 3, Guelph, Panik 25 (Mitchell, Lofquist), 9:22. 4, Peterborough, Watson 23 (Quine, Boland), 10:38. 5, Peterborough, Gowdy 3   14:37. Penalties-Van Laren Gue (roughing), 3:23; Ekelund Pbo (high sticking), 3:39; Campbell Gue (unsportsmanlike cnd.), 3:50; Panik Gue (tripping), 5:52; Trecapelli Pbo (holding), 12:05; Murduff Pbo (roughing), 16:09.

3rd Period-6, Guelph, Latta 28 (Erlich), 3:52. 7, Peterborough, Martschini 14 (Ekelund, Puempel), 10:59 (PP). 8, Peterborough, Puempel 30   19:57 (EN). Penalties-Ekelund Pbo (interference), 6:08; served by Tresham Gue (too many men), 10:15.

Shots on Goal-Guelph 16-17-8-41. Peterborough 6-11-13-30.
Power Play Opportunities-Guelph 1 / 4; Peterborough 2 / 5.
Goalies-Guelph, Foote 18-17-4-1 (29 shots-25 saves). Peterborough, D’Agostini 8-21-0-1 (41 shots-38 saves).
Referees-Craig Spada (10), Seth Ferguson (39).
Linesmen-Matthew Traub (50), Scott Gray (71).

More News
OHL 20 in 20 Futures Watch: Guelph Storm
19 hours ago
By the Numbers Breakdown of the CHL at World U17 Camp
6 days ago
Clark Hiebert commits to Storm
6 days ago
Tim Hortons and Special Olympics Canada celebrate Global Day of Inclusion
6 days ago
#StormCupTour stops in Burlington and Oakville
6 days ago
CHL Stars We’ll Miss: OHL’s Western Conference
7 days ago