Shootout win for Storm

Wednesday night at the Sleeman Centre, the Storm downed the Kitchener Rangers for the third straight time with three straight shootout goals capped off by Richard Panik’s quick wrist shot over Mike Morrison’s outstretched glove.

Down a goal and down a man in the final minute of the game, the home side pushed the puck in deep and after Kyle Pereira chipped it towards the net, Tyler Carroll banged the equalizer past Mike Morrison. After killing off the final thirty seconds and some pressure early in the extra frame, the two teams exchanged chances without any success.

In the shootout, the first two shooters from each club scored before Brandon Foote turned aside Jason Akeson on the blocker side.  Then with the game on the line, Panik beat Morrison to cap off the 3-2 comeback win.

The game started slowly for both clubs with few scoring chances in the first period.  In the second, Panik broke the tie at the 9:46 mark picking up a rebound at the side of the net and burying it past Morrison.  The Rangers came back to tie the game on the man advantage just under five minutes later.  Then early in the third, Ryan Murphy gave Kitchener their first lead of the night with a long shot that handcuffed Foote. 

Two valuable points for the Storm with the win lift them into seventh in the conference past the idle Erie Otters.  Guelph also creeps one point closer to the third place Rangers in the tightly packed Western Conference with just eight points separating third and seventh spot.

Three straight on the road for Guelph beginning Saturday night in Owen Sound against the Midwest Division leading Attack.  Three days later, it’s a rematch against the Rangers in Kitchener and then a trip to Peterborough on Thursday night.  One night later, on Friday February 11th, the Storm returns to the Sleeman Centre to host the Brampton Battalion at 7:30 pm.

Kitchener Rangers 2 at Guelph Storm 3 (SO) – Status: Final SO
Wednesday, February 2, 2011 – Sleeman Centre

Kitchener 0 1 1 0 – 2
Guelph 0 1 1 0 – 3

1st Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Doornbosch Kit (holding), 2:07; Sonnenburg Gue (cross checking), 8:22; Melchiori Kit (holding), 17:39.

2nd Period-1, Guelph, Panik 24 (Erlich, Holland), 9:46. 2, Kitchener, Crescenzi 11 (Randell, Murphy), 14:38 (PP). Penalties-Lowry Kit (roughing), 2:36; Melchiori Kit (hooking), 4:32; Beck Gue (slashing), 11:16; Holland Gue (slashing), 14:03; Gaskin Gue (hooking), 16:16; Lowry Kit (slashing), 19:20.

3rd Period-3, Kitchener, Murphy 19   4:34. 4, Guelph, Carroll 19 (Pereira, Latta), 19:30 (SH). Penalties-Sol Kit (holding opp. stick), 6:47; Panik Gue (tripping), 7:46; Randell Kit (boarding), 16:56; Lofquist Gue (interference), 18:06.

OT Period- No Scoring.Penalties-Panik Gue (roughing), 4:18.

Shootout – Kitchener 2 (Catenacci G, Murphy G, Akeson NG), Guelph 3 (Latta G, Beck G, Panik G).
Shots on Goal-Kitchener 6-11-4-3-0-24. Guelph 8-9-10-4-1-32.
Power Play Opportunities-Kitchener 1 / 7; Guelph 0 / 7.
Goalies-Kitchener, Morrison 10-4-0-2 (31 shots-29 saves). Guelph, Foote 18-14-4-1 (24 shots-22 saves).
Referees-Jason Faist (5), Seth Ferguson (39).
Linesmen-Tim Steen (75), Matt Gregory (86).

More News
Home Opener - Game Preview: Ottawa 67's vs. Guelph Storm
5 hours ago
Storm acquire picks from Rangers in exchange for Liam Hawel
2 days ago
Storm Mourn the Loss of long time scout Cliff Long
3 days ago
Home Opener and Street Fest THIS Friday, September 20th
3 days ago
Storm finds a late bloomer in Jacob Roach
4 days ago
Storm wraps up preseason with shootout loss
4 days ago